Saturday, June 5, 2010

And these children.

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
- David Bowie.


This blog is a shout out to all my high school friends with whom I danced and sweat (Zoiks! New Jersey summers!) and drank and ate and walked and golf-carted and biked and tasted wine and smoked (yes... admittedly a few smokes for old times sake...

Who we were then is still so much of who we are now.

We knew something then.

And so, the charming engineer who sat with me under the tent as all the lights were turning off and I sipped my wine and spoke of love and my college love and high school first love and richie who's been working in Peddie's cafeteria for 43 years and Harry Holcomb our drama teacher who's been teaching at the school for 42 years and Kate Higgins, my advisor, and Greg wanting to attack the ducks, and Paige and Brad and their 4 beautiful children and Zi-yah wanting to return to business and start anew, and Mary Jeanne still the life of the party, Peter offering to walk me home, Nelson the Olympic Gold Medalist, my former headmaster Tom Degray and his wife who gave up their gold cart ride for me, Dave Mayfield and his adorable son, Sebastian, the ever-beautiful Jeff Oram with his lovely wife and 6 kids!!!, the Class of 1960 regaling me with stories of where they were when Kennedy was shot, the swimmers who all donned their speedos again for the alumni swim meet, the faculty kids bobbling their way across campus, Pat Clements leading our 8.5 mile bike tour, the adorable Alex from class of 2005 (should I have pulled you aside?) All of it... AMAZING.

Sticky sweaty dripping drinking smiling drinking sitting standing dripping dancing loving hugging 

REUNION.

To be back in high school again for just 2 days...

And these children... who we were and will always be...

I dedicate this blog to you.

And to my dear little blades near and far from my little town in New Jersey where my reunion took place, I send love... always.

A little slice of heaven.

 


1 comment:

  1. thanks for putting into words, the sentiment i was feeling on saturday. it was so nice to be back - to reminisce, to hug, to just appreciate chance to be together again, if only for a little while. take care,
    JS

    ReplyDelete