Friday, June 4, 2010

Love's Young Dream.

"No, there's nothing half so sweet in life as love's young dream."
-Thomas Moore


Tonight was the first night of my high school reunion at the Peddie School... SO fun and sort of like a dream...

I saw my best friend from prep school and we were almost immediately scratching arms and telling old stories... 

I saw my college love and he still looks like a teenager. I actually felt sad to leave him at the bar tonight when all of my friends at my table left... 

And at the same time, I felt thrilled to be there with everyone. Thrilled to get time out at a bar.

To go to a Jersey Winery -- who knew?

Lovely being with all of my old friends on the old campus and seeing my drama teacher still giving tours.

Tomorrow I go on a bike tour.

And then we all have lunch.

And then dinner tomorrow night and then, out to the bar again.

I am at once so young and so old.

I am a woman and a girl. (cue Brittany Spears song!)

I feel like it was yesterday that I was there and being with my high school friends again... It's like not a moment passed. 

All the old personalities and all the friendships that burst up again.

It's like who we are then sticks with us to a point.

It's like life is high school with older people.

And yet...

We are braver and stronger. And more ourselves than we could have imagined then.

I feel this way.


That I am growing up. And embracing who I am and where I am.

And being back again -- it all feels like this is where it all began.

Tomorrow, I must talk to Dan R. and the headmaster and Beachball and Paul Watkins and Sandy Tattersall and all the other friends I saw today.

And more of my friends whom I left at the bar.

And more of my friends whom I left at the bar.

I repeated this on purpose -- because it actually felt like something more profound than what it just is.

Being home

is

magic.

Walking through my little town again with my high school friends arms wrapped around mine.

I can not wait to do this show in NYC this fall.

And live on the east coast again.

I can feel it now.

Ripeness is all.

I

am

RIPE.

Time's winged chariot is drawing near.

And being home and back with my young love and amidst all my friends from when I was a teenager and on that dewy campus, and walking through my small town... Remembering those feelings young, young love. Nothing indeed can replace that feeling. We must always cherish that feeling... 

So let me remind us all tonight...

that, as Thomas Moore once said, There is nothing half so sweet in life as love's young dream.

Let us always cherish that feeling.

And whenever we need to remember what it feels like to be a kid again, just sit back and pull in a breath and maybe even close your eyes and let your mind take you back. To that first love. Only thinking of him, only wanting to be with him, to love him so much that it hurt, to almost want to hurt him a little because it felt sooo good to love.

And remember always that feeling. When we have kids of our own so that we may inspire them to love as we did. As we have learned to. Because that love is what has made us who we are today.

Love's young dream.

I am reliving it, my little blades.

Mmmmm....

Bittersweet love. 

Deliciously rare, deliriously pure.

And on that note, I send all of my little blades near and far, love... always...

No comments:

Post a Comment