Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mae West Ruled The World.

      

"Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is." Mae West 


Well, my little blades, I rehearsed my TYRANNY web series tonight, I record my first voice over tomorrow with WME! And I shoot my web series tomorrow night and then, I am working on a commercial on Wednesday...

And thus, I am going to keep this one short.

But -- let me just say 3 things about Mae West that inspire me. And will inspire you as well. I hope.

1. She dated an African American boxer who was banned from her building because of his race and you know what she did in response? SHE BOUGHT THE BUILDING.

2. She began on the New York Stage and Hollywood wanted her when she was 38 -- this was the age of her film debut!!! Which back in the day was something very glas ceiling breaking!!!

3. She wrote, directed, and produced her own plays -- on Broadway!!!

And thus... my little blades, we must always look to the past to appreciate who has blazed a trail for the rest of us to walk upon.

And tonight, I celebrate the inimitable Mae West.

She ROCKED and RULED THE WORLD. Before Madonna recorded her first album, before Meryl won her first Oscar, before Gloria Steinem became the face of feminism, Mae West was sexual and witty and voluptuously talented -- doing many things, which brought her great fame and fortune. And which also -- broke a glass ceiling for the women writers and directors and producers and Broadway actresses and movie stars who came tumbling after.

She was deeply close with her family and was devastated by the loss of her mother in 1930, she went on to support her father and brother off and on throughout her life --  another rarity in her day.

This is one bawdy, proud, hilarious, and courageous woman. Of course from Brooklyn.

And tonight, with all of my sparkling updates spilling off of the page, I celebrate Mae West. She was a true original. 

And as Janis Joplin said, "Never compromise yourself. You're all you've got."

On that note, my little blades -- and get set you all -- because I may start calling you all my little beasts :) I bought the domain for thelittlebeast.com -- my theater and production company!!!

Never compromise you. Let your personality shine. Be deeply intelligent or dirty or bold, hilarious, authentic, and brave, productive, creative, and unstoppable and if ever ever ever a man is banned from your building -- get yourself to a place in life where you can buy it. 

Love.. Always.

1 comment:

  1. And Mae's court jester (W.C. Fields) made her reign oh so very high-larious!

    Hey, just heard the voters are throwin' the bums out - Specter lost the primary????

    This guy may be one of the few who'll actually be re-elected (he's also very likely to be our next prez).

    If Marco Rubio wins the Fl primary and general, he'll prob be Thune's running mate in 2012 -- grabbing the prized Hispanic voting block by mitigating the recent passage of AZ's illegal immigration law (which 63% of nationally polled voters are for).

    Ya heard it here first.

    Hope all is peachy-keen in the Dream Factory!

    ReplyDelete